This is one of my favorite recipes ever. These days we make two loaves at a time, since we now have 5 people eating them and the first one is always gone within 24 hours. But anyway…enjoy!
Recipe modified from Cook's Illustrated and Better Homes and Gardens:
– 1 Cup flour
– 1 Cup whole-wheat flour
– 3/4 Cup sugar
– 3/4 Tsp baking soda
– 1/2 Tsp salt
– 1/4 Tsp ground cinnamon
– 6 TBSP butter, melted and cooled (you can also substitute 3 TBSP plain yogurt for 3 TBSP of the butter)
– 1 Tsp vanilla extract
– 3 very ripe, darkly-speckled large bananas, mashed well (1 1/2 Cup)
– 1/4 Cup plain yogurt
– 2 eggs, beaten lightly
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour bottom only of a regular loaf pan, or grease and flour bottom and sides of a nonstick pan.
2. Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in large bowl; set aside.
3. Whisk melted butter, vanilla, mashed bananas, yogurt, and eggs in medium bowl. Lightly fold banana mixture into dry ingredients until just combined and batter looks thick and chunky. Pour into prepared loaf pan.
4. Bake until loaf is golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean, 55 minutes. Cool 10 minutes in pan, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Best when wrapped in plastic overnight and served the next day.